An ideal minimalist skincare routine is a skincare routine where the user only uses skincare products that are truly necessary, ones that are beneficial to skin health based on valid science.
"Don't cross your eyes, they'll get stuck like that!" "Don't go outside with a wet head, you'll get a cold." "Sleep on your back to prevent the formation of wrinkles." Or, "If you don't take your makeup off before you go to sleep at night, you'll get more wrinkles." What you'll get is a dirty pillowcase!
CAUTION: Skincare products claiming to be designed for a specific age group, or for "mature" skin (usually referring to women over 50), are formulated with the same ingredients as all OTC moisturizers. There is no specific ingredient that can be added to a moisturizer to make that moisturizer more effective based on age. This marketing ploy makes absolutely no sense. 35 year olds can absolutely use the same moisturizers as 50 year olds, and 50 year olds can use the same products as 80 year olds!
- It's not your fault if a moisturizer didn't lift your sagging skin.
- It's not your fault if an eye cream didn't eliminate your dark circles or puffiness.
- It's not your fault if that "anti-aging cream" didn't make you look 20 years younger.
If you buy a skincare product that doesn't live up to its claims, take it back for a refund!
After 30 years of practicing dermatology, reading the medical literature and testing skincare product formulations it is clear to me that:
With so many over-the-counter (OTC) skincare products available, selecting a quality moisturizer, cleanser or sunscreen can be overwhelming. Our Product Selector simplifies the process for you.
Consider these three FryFace rules:
1. There is no correlation between the cost of a skincare product and the efficacy of that product.
2. Science has shown that the regular use of moisturizer and sunscreen is beneficial to human health and well-being.
Fragrance is one of the most frequent causes of contact allergic reactions; therefore, fragrance-free skincare products are recommended over scented products.